About

The LGBTQ community needs every voice. While coming out has the power to be liberating, it can also be terrifying. Closeted Perspectives recognizes that, in some instances, coming out feels impossible. Violence, fear, hate, misunderstanding, circumstance – all of these things occasionally extinguish the prospect of asserting how one truly feels. The goal of this project is to give a voice to those who would otherwise remain silenced, and also to create a sense of unity. In short –

You are not alone.

A voice from behind the closet door is still a part of the community, and it is a perspective that must be heard. CP contributors have the potential to explain what needs to happen to create an environment in which every individual feels safe enough to break down those doors.

If you could say anything to the world, what would it be?

Please send submissions to:
closeted.perspectives@gmail.com

March 14, 2010

Submission #1

As a closeted individual, I often feel resented by the GLBT community at large. I feel marginalized by a group that is supposed to be my own. For me, there is no sense of “community” within the world of queers. All of the “out and proud” gays stand tall together, waving rainbow flags and protesting our country’s injustices. But there is no place among them for someone like me.

Harvey Milk asked every professional gay to come out to everyone. Activists I have met argue the same. There is almost a sense that staying in the closet is a betrayal to the community and is counterproductive to our cause.

But what happens to those of us who really cannot, should not, come out? We all have our reasons. Some of us are minors living under our parents’ roof. If I were to tell my parents at the age of 16, I would be punished for allowing Satan to influence me and those awful gays to recruit me. I was not recruited. I would not want to have been recruited. Who, really, would want to face all of this adversity? I would certainly lose any and all privileges to leave the house with my friends. I would likely be put into some sort of Christian reform camp for gays who should learn to be straight. How can my elder gay friends—and even some of my peers—resent me for not coming out?

Many situations are even more severe than mine. Some children would be abused, neglected, disowned. Some students would lose support and college funding from their parents. Some adults would lose their jobs. Lieutenant Dan Choi is a brave and courageous individual, but because of his high rank and financial stability, he could afford to make a stand and lose his job. What about the fresh recruits? What about the person who has no other option but the military because this economy doesn’t have many job opportunities? What about the person who could lose his or her car, home, livelihood for coming out?

Rampant prejudice still exists in our nation. Virginia recently revoked sexual orientation from its anti-discrimination laws. In Pennsylvania (excluding Reading), one could feasibly be evicted for being gay. A simple google search turns up hundreds of articles detailing places all over the US where there are fiscal consequences for coming out of the closet.

It saddens me that there is no community for closeted individuals. Who will support us? Who is looking out for us?

We are here. We are queer. And we need your support and encouragement.

1 comment:

  1. As an out young adult, I want you to know that I think about you and others like you all the time.

    I hope that it helps to know that there are people out there willing to lend a hand if/when there is anything we can do to help. If you ever think of anything that you need, I hope you will reach out and ask for help.

    In the meantime, make the most out of your life. I know you will do great things.

    ReplyDelete